Lars Anderson is DFA again, this time by White Sox

By Jeff Louderback

While the Red Sox recently made a transaction – inking 29-year-old left-hander Matt Maloney to a minor league deal – former top prospect Lars Anderson was designated for assignment by the Chicago White Sox to make room for Conor Gillaspie on the Pale Hose 40-man roster.

Anderson, who is still just 25 and has upside as a left-handed hitting first baseman who can also play left field, has unwittingly embarked on quite the baseball odyssey over the last seven months.

Last July 31, Boston traded him to Cleveland for knuckleballer Steven Wright, who is reminiscent of R.A. Dickey and has a chance to help the Major League club at some point this season. On December 1, Anderson was shipped to the Arizona Diamondbacks in the three-team deal that sent top pitching prospect Trevor Bauer to the desert.  In late January, Anderson was designated for assignment by the Diamondbacks after the club landed a haul of players in the Justin Upton trade.

The White Sox picked him up but now have designated him for assignment after adding the 25-year-old Gillaspie, a 2008 supplemental first rounder of the San Francisco Giants out of Wichita State University. Gillaspie is a left-handed hitting third baseman.

With the recent acquisition of Mike Carp, the Red Sox are no longer in need of a left-handed hitter who plays first base and left field. The Milwaukee Brewers, who are rumored to be a potential destination for Lyle Overbay if the veteran does not win a spot on Boston’s opening day roster, could bring in Anderson.

Anderson’s recent plight is similar to other minor leaguers Russ Canzler and Sandy Rosario, who have been DFAd multiple times the last few months.

As for Maloney, he is a former high draft pick. A third round pick by the Philadelphia Phillies out of the University of Mississippi in 2005, Maloney is 5-9 with a 5.74 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP in 31 games (including 11 starts) over parts of four Major League seasons with Cincinnati and Minnesota. He will compete for a spot on the Triple-A Pawtucket roster.

  1. A classic example why it is so difficult to project future success. Have to take the latest crop of “can’t miss” Sox prospects with the proverbial grain of salt.

  2. I write about prospects for several publications,and typically I would say you are correct, but there are certain prospects that it is obvious how special and unique they are. Bogaerts and Bradley are two of them. It’s not a matter of how well they will perform in the majors. It’s just a matter of how many All-Star Games they will appear in and whether or not the Red Sox keep them for the long term when they near free agency (if they are not signed to long-term deals beforehand).

  3. Anderson was never in the same category of Bogaerts and Bradley. Anthony Rizzo surpassed Anderson as the first baseman of the future, and she is showing how good he is. I do think Anderson has a chance to realize his potential and become a productive Major Leaguer. He just needs to find the right team and the right opportunity.

  4. Miles Head is progressing nicely in the A’s system as well. He’ll probably be the real gem of the Bailey deal.

    I’m hoping Garin Cecchini is legit as well. Love his on base skills and athleticism. I’m sure he’ll learn to hit for more power as well.

  5. To me the current crop can be deemed a success when they are in the majors for three years with significant contributions. Sox have several who just may be in that category and if half of them pan out Sox will be in fine shape.

  6. They seemed to have gotten lazy in those few seasons after the 03-05 drafts that produced Papelbon, Pedroia, Ellsbury, and Buchholz. When the hyped-up guys like Lars Anderson and Michael Bowden didn’t pan out, they decided to rededicate themselves. I’m glad Cherington brought Eddy Bane in. The guy discovered Mike Trout and Jared Weaver.

Leave a Reply

  • Ad-FantasySports4U.com
  • Baseball Blog Networks

    BoSox Banter is a proud member of these blog networks:

    MLB Blog Buzz Baseball Bloggers Alliance Sports Blogs Baseball Blogs

    Links

  • Get This Plugin
  • AL East Standings

    TeamWLPct.GB