Red Sox talking to Tino Martinez for hitting coach vacancy

By Jeff Louderback

While the Red Sox contemplate hiring two hitting coaches, the team announced the hiring of former Major League pitcher and longtime White Sox bullpen coach Juan Nieves as the new pitching coach.

Nieves – who was part of the White Sox organization for 14 years,  including the last five as bullpen coach – gained experience serving with Don Cooper, who is widely regarded one of the best pitching coaches in baseball.

Nieves joins bench coach Torey Lovullo and third base Brian Butterfield as members of John Farrell’s coaching staff. Lovullo, who formerly managed Pawtucket,  was the first base coach with the Blue Jays under Farrell and Butterfield, a New England native, served as the third base coach. Lovullo and Butterfield are considered future Major League managers and will likely get extensive interest for managerial positions next offseason.

The Red Sox are interviewing candidates for the vacant hitting coach position this week. According  to ESPN.com, the Red Sox are talking to former Mariners and Yankees first baseman Tino Martinez about the hitting coach role.

Farrell prefers to bring aboard a hitting coach and an assistant hitting coach, which is becoming commonplace in the majors.

“That would be the preference, to go with two guys,” Farrell said. “The consistency of message is what matters most. “When you look at what the hitting coach is required to do and the amount of time spent in the cage in addition to preparing for an opponent on a given night or for a given series, I think it has evolved into more than a one-man system, one-man setup and we’re moving in that direction.”

1 Response to “ Red Sox talking to Tino Martinez for hitting coach vacancy ”

  1. Hiring Tino would upset many a Yankees fan. I hope they hire him.

Leave a Reply

  • Ad-FantasySports4U.com
  • Baseball Blog Networks

    BoSox Banter is a proud member of these blog networks:

    MLB Blog Buzz Baseball Bloggers Alliance Sports Blogs Baseball Blogs

    Links

  • Get This Plugin
  • AL East Standings

    TeamWLPct.GB